The Center for Ethics and the Rule of Law (CERL) and the Annenberg Public Policy Center (APPC), both of the University of Pennsylvania, in partnership with the Center for a New American Security (CNAS), will present a virtual symposium, Protecting Democracy: Foreign Interference, Voter Confidence, and Defensive Strategies in the 2020 Elections and Beyond on Thursday, September 17, 2020. This event will engage policymakers, practitioners, and analysts from both the public and private sectors and academia on the topics of foreign election interference and election security.
The symposium will include two virtual keynote panels that are open to the public. The first panel, Patterns of Foreign Election Interference Since 2016, will take place from 9:30-10:45 a.m. EDT, and the second, Voter Attitudes and Foreign Influence: Protecting the Vote, from 11:30-12:30 p.m. EDT.
Since mid-August, the three organizations have produced and published a series of commentaries through a joint project: Protecting the Integrity of the 2020 Election Against Foreign Interference. Each commentary explores an issue related to foreign interference in elections and election security in Europe and the United States. The project will culminate with next week’s virtual symposium.
Who: A diverse panel of experts, including:
Panel 1 – Patterns of Foreign Election Interference Since 2016, 9:30-10:45 a.m. EDT
- Claire Finkelstein (moderator), Algernon Professor of Law and Professor of Philosophy, Faculty Director of CERL, University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School
- James Clapper, former Director of National Intelligence and CERL Board Member
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson, Elizabeth Ware Packard Professor of Communications, University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg School for Communication; Walter and Leonore Director of APPC
Panel 2 – Voter Attitudes and Foreign Influence: Protecting the Vote, 11:30-12:30 p.m. EDT
- Carrie Cordero (moderator), Robert M. Gates Senior Fellow, CNAS
- Scott Bates, Deputy Secretary of the State, Connecticut
- Vanita Gupta, President and CEO, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Bill Kristol, Director, Defending Democracy Together; Editor-at-Large, The Bulwark
- Laura Rosenberger, Director, Alliance for Securing Democracy, German Marshall Fund
When: Thursday, September 17, 2020
Time: Panel 1 — 9:30-10:45 a.m. EDT
Panel 2 – 11:30-12:30 p.m. EDT
Where: Registration is free and required: https://sforce.co/3jZx7l6