“Here’s how many cases of voter fraud Rokita, Morales found after suing the feds”

IndyStar:

Indiana Secretary of State Diego Morales and Attorney General Todd Rokita reported that 21 noncitizens have voted in recent Indiana elections, information they obtained from settling a lawsuit against the federal government regarding the state’s quest to verify the citizenship of nearly 600,000 Indiana voters.

Morales and Rokita settled the lawsuit with a handful of other Republican-led states after suing the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in April, arguing that the agency failed to provide information to help the state verify citizenship….

About three million Hoosiers voted in the 2024 general election. If all 21 noncitizen votes found by Rokita and Morales took place in the 2024 election, it would amount to .0007% of the electorate that year.

“From day one, many individuals dismissed our work as a ‘witch hunt’—but the facts speak for themselves: non-citizen voting is real here in our state, and even one illegal ballot undermines the trust we are told to have in our election processes and even the Republic itself,” Rokita said in a release. “This settlement delivers the federal access we’re entitled to under law, allowing the Secretary of State to swiftly remove ineligible voters from the rolls and fortify our system against future risks. Indiana’s elections will be more transparent, fairer and more secure as a result.” …

Share this:

“MAGA robo-callers sentenced for intimidating Michigan voters”

Ohio Capital Journal:

Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl, two out-of-state conservative activists who pleaded no contest to orchestrating a series of robocalls aimed at suppressing the vote of Black residents in Detroit, were sentenced to one year of probation on Monday by a Wayne County judge.

Burkman and Wohl were initially charged with actions aimed at suppressing the vote during the 2020 general election. The no contest pleas and the subsequent sentencing agreement were hashed out by the defendants’ attorneys and the Wayne County 3rd Circuit Court.

The Department of Attorney General was not involved in the agreement.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel on Monday, in a statement, said that Burkman and Wohl engaged in conduct that “used every racist dog whistle – fear of incarceration, fear of the government and fear of one’s benefits being taken away – to steal the most fundamental right that we often take for granted: the right to vote.”

Share this:

“Trump Plans to Pardon Texas Congressman and Wife Awaiting Bribery Trial”

NYT:

President Trump said on Wednesday that he would pardon Representative Henry Cuellar, Democrat of Texas, who was awaiting trial on charges that he and his wife had taken roughly $600,000 worth of bribes from an Azerbaijani oil company and a Mexican bank.

The indictment against Mr. Cuellar and his wife, Imelda Cuellar, filed last year in Houston, centered on accusations of bribery and money laundering. Despite Mr. Cuellar’s political affiliation, Mr. Trump has expressed public support for him, citing his willingness to speak out against Biden-era border policies.

“Sleepy Joe went after the Congressman, and even the Congressman’s wonderful wife, Imelda, simply for speaking the TRUTH,” Mr. Trump wrote on his social media platform, blaming the case on what he described as a weaponized Justice Department under the Biden administration. “Henry, I don’t know you, but you can sleep well tonight — Your nightmare is finally over!”

In a post on social media, Mr. Cueller responded by thanking the president “for his tremendous leadership and for taking the time to look at the facts.” He added: “I thank God for standing with my family and I during this difficult time. This decision clears the air and lets us move forward for South Texas.”…

Share this:

“New Jersey has ‘to be open’ to mid-decade redistricting, Sherrill adviser says”

Politico:

Mid-decade redistricting is on the table in New Jersey, a top adviser to Democratic Gov.-elect Mikie Sherrill said on Tuesday. Just don’t expect it to happen before the midterms.

“I think we have to be open to it, right?” said Alex Ball, Sherrill’s campaign manager and incoming chief of staff, when asked about the prospect of mid-decade redistricting at POLITICO’s Transition of Power: What’s Next for New Jersey” event.

“If you look at what the Trump administration is doing, I think we have to take any threat of overreach, of our election system, on their part, seriously,” she added. “So, I think the governor-elect will look at all options available.”

Sherrill has previously said that she is open to mid-decade redistricting as other states push to redraw maps….

Share this:

“Getting Youth Engaged in Democracy”

New article by Laura Brill in the Stanford Social Innovation Review:

Many people assume that young people turn out to vote at low rates, even when they are registered. But that is not the case, at least in major national elections. According to US Census data, more than 75 percent of registered youth turned out in every presidential election going back to 2004. In 2020, 86 percent of registered youth turned out, and in 2024, 82 percent of registered youth turned out.

One of the greatest obstacles to voter turnout in general, and youth turnout in particular, is registration. In both 2020 and 2024, according to the US Census, less than 75 percent of US adult citizens were registered to vote. That meant more than 60 million people were not registered. More than 10 million of those unregistered were young people between the ages of 18 and 24. While 18- to 24-year-olds make up less than 12 percent of the adult citizen population, they comprise a much higher rate—17 percent—of those who are unregistered….

Share this:

2020 “fake electors” prosecutions stumble

After the 2020 election, seven states saw losing slates of Republican electors still show up in state capitals and send their votes to Congress. These electors–sometimes labeled “fake,” “alternate,” “contingent,” or “fraudulent,” depending on one’s priors–never had their votes counted, or even seriously considered in Congress. As originally conceived, it appeared their votes might have been simply to “preserve” their litigation position in the event things turned their way. But in some places no cases were pending, and others had no serious or non-frivolous claims. By January 6, 2021, supporters of President Donald Trump pointed to the mere existence of these alternative slates of electoral votes as evidence worthy of further investigation.

In 2022, I wondered here about what should happen to these electors. I wrote then:

In short, I don’t have easy answers about how to square these matters. I know states are investigating how to prosecute these claims. Congress might be investigating, too. Some are much more obvious falsehoods, like purporting to meet in the Capitol when they didn’t. But others look more like “preserving” challenges a la 1960. How much that matters in 2020 remains an open question (as is what lessons it might yield for Electoral Count Act reform before 2024).

Criminal prosecutions have certainly ensued.

Of the seven slates, two–New Mexico and Pennsylvania–explicitly included language in their certificate that the votes they cast should only be counted if a court found that they were the “duly elected and qualified electors.” That contingency language has meant that neither slate faced criminal prosecution.

In the other five states–Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, and Wisconsin–the electors have faced criminal prosecution. But many have stumbled.

In Arizona, the indictment was found to violate the state constitution. The judge said a prosecutor has a duty to tell grand jurors all the applicable law and concluded the defendants were denied ‘a substantial procedural right as guaranteed by Arizona law.'” The court of appeals declined to take up the case. The attorney general has appealed to the state supreme court.

In Georgia, many of the counts have been dismissed by the courts. While some have immunity deals, a scandal involving prosecutor Fani Willis, now disqualified from the case, slowed the matter to a crawl; Georgia has since dropped the case.

In Michigan, a judge threw out the charges on the ground that the prosecutors failed to demonstrate evidence of intent. Given that Attorney General Dana Nissel publicly proclaimed that the electors were “brainwashed,” demonstrating intent from them (as opposed to other members of Trump’s legal or political team) proved to be a challenge.

In Nevada, the charges were dismissed because prosecutors were too aggressive with venue. They brought the indictment in Las Vegas, but the acts in the case arose in Carson City, and the indictment, a court found, was invalid. The case was refiled and remains pending, but the Nevada Supreme Court later reversed the venue finding, so the indictment can return to where it began.

Only Wisconsin’s prosecution has (thus far) remained on track.

In a politically contentious set of cases, one would have hoped to see more buttoned-up prosecutions. So far, that does not appear to be the case. We are still some time away from any of these cases actually reaching trial, but it’s worth reflecting where these cases stand, five years removed from their conduct.

Share this: